Roberto Menghi was born in Milan and graduated from the Polytechnic in 1944.
He was immediately called on to play his part in the Second World War and after the Armistice, his opposition to the setting up of the Italian Social Republic led to his internment in a concentration camp in Czestochowa. Once freed, he opened his own design studio in his home city, where he worked in architectural, interior and industrial design.
On two occasions he received awards at the Triennale with the Gran Premio in the Glass and Design Sections the and two Compasso d’Oro awards for Design. For FontanaArte he designed the Globo di luce series of lamps, first produced in 1968.
In the field of architecture he dedicated his time to the refurbishment of buildings with special artistic interest, such as Palazzo dei Giureconsulti in Milan. He taught Architecture at Venice and Milan Universities and Design at the Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti in Milan and the Academy of Bath.